Thursday, February 9, 2012

I thought that I was going crazy, you took me to another place...

Let me start with this preface: I am an AJ-girl, and I always have been. (I mean, what's not to love?) Growing up, my sister was the one with all of the Nick posters in her room. As a teenager, I just wasn't interested in fitting in and gushing over the blonde-haired, blue-eyed baby of the group.

As I have gotten older, and the Boys have become less "untouchable" and more in touch with their fan base, I have had the opportunity to meet them a few times. Nick has always been a mystery to me. At soundchecks, you can always expect Brian to be all over the place, unable to sit still; AJ will oblige any fan and do just about ANYTHING we ask of him (bless his heart); Howie tends to keep to himself, sipping his tea, but chimes in at just the right moment with a corny joke. Then there is Nick. I just can't pin point him. And because of this, I have never known how I really feel about him... until now.

My favorite VIP pic so far... What up, GANGSTA?
This past weekend, Nick took his "I'm Taking Off" tour to Philly. I live nowhere close to Philly, but decided it would be a great weekend get away. My sister and I hopped a plane, bought VIPs and decided to brave the cold to see what Nick was like outside of the "Backstreet Box." We met up with a group of nine other girls (also not from Philly) and camped out before the VIP, getting to know each other as we tried to keep our hands from going numb.

Nick's VIP consisted of him performing two cover songs (Lenny Kravitz's "Fly Away" and Tom Petty's "Free Fallin"), answering a couple of questions from the crowd (Mary's question about the Twitter app was the best one I have ever seen at any soundcheck. Hey Nick, what was it called??), and taking pictures with each of us. My sister and I ended up toward the back of the pack for the photo op, and I watched Nick Carter greet every female in that room with open arms, followed by a big hug. He spoke to each of us, accepted numerous belated birthday presents (sorry, Carter, I missed the memo that we were bringing gifts; I owe ya one) and smiled relentlessly. During my individual experience, he gave me a huge hug and tried to make the moment personal (something that I, for one, appreciate more than you will ever know). He was genuine, sweet, humble and gracious to everyone who came out to support him. I was completely blown away by my VIP experience; Nick Carter is a FABULOUS man. It's been confirmed first-hand.

He looks like a Ken Doll... =)

I never thought I would say this, but that concert was one of the greatest shows I have ever seen. Nick is amazing as a part of the Backstreet Boys; however, the energy and emotion and connection he has to HIS music is astounding. He made me (as I am sure he did every other fan in that crowd) feel SPECIAL. It takes an amazing artist and performer to have that kind of power. In one evening, Nick Carter turned me into a fan-- not just of the music, or of him as a performer, but also of him as a person.

Credit: EvergreenBSB
I have to dance like a mad woman everytime I hear this song... #blameNickCarter

That Philly weekend turned me into a Nick Carter fan-- not of Nick Carter the Backstreet Boy, but of Nick Carter the solo artist, the entertainer, the vocalist... the PERSON. This weekend also brought a handful of amazing women into my life, who are now a permanent fixture. The time we spent together, including the hours after the show when we laughed until we cried and made memories for a lifetime, was just what my life needed. There is nothing better than making great friends who understand the music that makes your heart dance... it also helps that they are willing to travel outrageous distances and spend their life savings to participate in the same activites I am. The next girls' weekend cannot come soon enough!

Credit: April May
The women who now make me laugh on a daily basis-- THANK YOU. =)
So, thank you, Nick. You turned me into a believer. You are an absolute ROCKSTAR for doing what you do, despite all of the obstacles you face. I, without a doubt, have the utmost respect for you. Now, regardless of what you do, I got you (pun intended).

5 comments:

  1. I couldn't agree with u more! Nick was the first bsb i liked...until ALAYLM came out. As you can see, it was short-lived. What did it last? One single? I was a Brian girl from then on out. However, after last weekend, I have officially converted back to Nick after 12 years. I totally agree with everything u said! I went to the Baltimore and Philly shows (vip for both) and I coujd not have been more impressed with everything! His voice sounded amazing, he was so genuine, sweet, and appreciative, and put on an amazing show! It was definitely one of the best shows I've been to and I've gone to over 100 concerts. I never thougyt i wld say this again but i am smitten with nick carter!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! And I am glad you had a great experience as well! I wish I could fit one more show into my schedule... He's addicting! LoL

      Delete
  2. Wow.. I really enjoyed reading this. I am a Nick girl and I am so glad that you see in him in a different light. Your experience sounds amazing. I have never been to one of his concerts and I really want to go the the COlumbus show but I have to work on Monday and I have no one to go with. Plus, it is a 4 hour drive. I am not really too keen on driving it bymyself and not knowing where I am going. I would also love to be able to find some other girls that share the same love that I do and make lasting friendships. None of my friends are into this and so It makes it hard for me to do things like this.. who wants to do it all alone? Anyways, I feel u and I am so glad that you had such an amazing experience filled with friendship, fun and a new found love my man Nick Carter.. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Brie, nobody that I know where I live is a BSB fan so last May, I showed up solo to the 1st show in Rosemont, IL and ended up meeting some girls I had talked to on Twitter before. Then they introduced me to their friends, etc and the "group" just keeps growing! So don't be afraid to hop in your car by yourself (I drove 10 hours to Ohio last summer for another 3 NKOTBSB shows) and start up convos with random people while waiting in line. I can't believe I've met so many awesome girls just through BSB events! Catch me on Ywitter if you like, I'm @knockeledup :)

    I loved reading this blog! It brought a little tear to my eye at thd memories hehe ;) Girls' weekend must happen again very soon!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Brit, this was an amazing post!!! I really enjoyed reading it, and I'm smiling because of it. As you know, BSB has changed my life in so many ways, including the amazing friendships it has brought me. I only know Aja because of BSB, and we are going on year 11 as besties, and she was the maid of honor at my wedding! This Backstreet thing is just something else :-)

    ReplyDelete